Friday 18 November 2016

Desktop Decisions Part 3: RAM and Hard Drive

Now that we have chosen the processor, we move onto the next big component: the RAM.  Three is a constant debate going on among computer techs as to how much is too much.  Frankly, I would say the more the merrier.  I am running 6GB of RAM in my desktop, which for the normal user is ridiculous.  The minimum you should get is 2GB, 3GB would be preferable, and 4Gb if you can afford it.  This will ensure your system runs smoothly when running multiple programs (i.e., Word, Internet Explorer, AIM, etc).


The next important part is the hard drive.  I would say a minimum of 320GB will suffice for the standard users.  This will provide ample room for your documents and pictures.  If you want to store your home movies, I would highly suggest getting a 500GB hard drive or larger, as movies take up large amounts of space very quickly.  Also, if you want to keep your computer cost down but also save your home movies, I would suggest getting a 320GB or 500GB hard drive and then getting a 750GB or 1TB external hard drive and save your movies there.

No comments:

Post a Comment