Monday 16 March 2020

Desktop Decisions Part 2: Processors

Once you have chosen the brand you want to get, the next thing to do is to find the computer for you.  Now, there are two ways to approach this.  One option is to go into a store, such as Best Buy, and pick out a computer that you like and bring it home that day.  The other option is to go to the companys website and build a computer for yourself.  I would recommend the second option because most of the tmie the computers at stores are going to be either stock computers, meaning they have no special features, not very powerful, and nothing special about them, or theyre going to be quite powerful having some features that you might not use, but still have to pay for.  Also, there is a middle man (the distributor, i.e. Best Buy), so the cost may be higher.

Now comes the fun part: building your computer. As for the processor, I would recommend going with Intel.  I have always used an Intel processor in all of my builds and laptop purchases because, frankly, they are just better processors. No, I am not endorsed by Intel to be saying this. This is, again, my opinion.  But, AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) tends to make processors that run hot, which takes up more energy and taxes the computers performance; the computer has to work harder to keep itself cool.  So, I would suggest going with an Intel processor, preferably a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad.  It may be cheaper to go with a Pentium D or Celeron D processor (or something of the like), but to tell you the truth, those processors are already obselete.  I run a Core i7 in my desktop, which is the newest processor line available at this time, in September 2009.  However,  I would not be surprised if in three months they release a newer, faster processor.  So, I would say to go with a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad.  With these processors, the clock speed is unimportant (well, they are, but for all intensive purposes, they arent), so just get the highest speed you can afford.  Next thing we look at is the RAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment