Saturday 15 February 2020

Name Bench Faster Internet

Ever wanted faster internet for free? Heres the REAL solution using this free program from Google. It searches for the best DNS severs in your area and gives you their IP address. With this information, you can put them into your IP configurations for the best connection to where ever youre going. This will ultimately eliminate tons of hops from your connection to whatever server your trying to reach.  To test this, I tried it on my machine, and I ran a speed test from SpeedTest.net to connect to a Server of theirs in NYC. My results were pretty poor. I also ran this test at peak hours (since the ISP I use is cable, my connection is shared).

 So I had the results of a download speed of 1.55 Mb per second, the upload speed of 2.05 and the ping of 26ms. Now I ran Namebench, Used the best DNS servers and reconfigured my TCP/IP settings to direct it to those servers. I set the top two hits for the best servers in my area to my DNS servers as the primary and alternate. I then ran the speed test again from the same site hitting the same server. The results were download speed of 2.71, upload speed of 2.07 and a ping of 23ms. Now obviously this isnt a HUGE increase but clearly a lot faster and Im sure over time youll see better results.

Now to configure this on your own machine go to your Network Connection Settings under/in the Control Panel. From there find the adapter youre using (should be labeled LAN if youre using an ethernet cable, or Wireless Connection 1 if you are using wireless). Now right-click it and go to Internet Protocol v4 (or just Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP) and click Properties. Okay good, now on the bottom half of the window youll see use the following DNS Server Addresses. Now punch in the DNS servers IP address youve been giving from Name Bench. The first one to the Preferred and the second to alternate. Great now your all set, and you should now see increased speeds. Now this will NOT, I repeat will not increase your download speeds. It will be very beneficial with web browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment